Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cold spell?

Now that Vegas’ temperature has gotten down to the 90’s, my husband has decided that we are having a cold spell.  He has been turning off the air conditioning at night and opening up all the windows and doors.  My husband is from Cairo, Egypt, so for him it is a common thing to throw open the windows, even without screens.  Where I am from, if you go to bed with a window open that doesn’t have a screen, you are bound to become a midnight snack to a gang of mosquitoes.  Not to mention it being an open invitation to any whack job looking for easy prey.

Every night, I imagine bats flying into the open window of my bedroom and it really creeps me out (not that I have ever seen a bat in Vegas), so I keep the curtain closed.  I know you are wondering, "why doesn't she have screens?"  Well, we bought this house as a foreclosure and not one of the dang windows had any screens, nor did any of the sliding glass doors have a screen door.  We have not yet gotten to the point of buying screens as it wasn't the #1 item on my husband's list.  Some of the windows had solar screens, which was helpful, until a big wind storm one night blew nearly all of them off and bent the heck out of them.  They have yet to be reinstalled into their rightful places.  Things get done in their own sweet time around here.

Anyway, this morning I awoke before my husband and went downstairs for a coffee.  The first thing I noticed was that both sliding glass doors off the back of the house were wide open and had been since the night before.  I was fuming mad.  I stomped my way back up the stairs and proceeded to give my husband a piece of my mind.

“What the !@#$%^&* were you thinking leaving all the windows and doors open last night downstairs?” I yelled.  “Were you making it easy for the burglars and murders?”

“Don’t worry, honey.  I was up until 4:30 am.  I’m sure all the burglars and murders were asleep by then,” he says grinning.

I really hate it when I am mad and he tries to be funny.

“We don’t live in a village!  This is Vegas! You have to shut the doors and lock them.  If not, you allow anything crawling or flying easy entry, not to mention the freaks that come out at night.”

“Tina, the back gates are locked,” he says. “No one can get in through the back.”

“So I guess the bad guys don’t ever jump fences then, huh?” I reply sarcastically.

“I seriously doubt they would go to the trouble,” he answers smirking.

I just give him the stink eye and turn and leave the room.  I know it’s useless.  It’s like talking to a brick wall.

So now we no longer have thermostat wars, now we have window wars.  Every time he leaves a room that has a window open, I close it.  It drives him nuts.  I am hoping that eventually he will give up and see things my way.

In the meantime, if a lizard makes its way into my house and up his pants leg, I will be thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment