Friday, September 16, 2011

Stormy's New Do

Hi, I’m Stormy.  I am a silver-haired Lion head rabbit. I'm just sitting here munching on some fresh lettuce, that the nice tall lady brought me to eat.  She’s my favorite.  She always pets me softly and holds me close.  She whispers sweet words in in my ears before gently setting me down on the floor for the children to play with.  She always warns them to be careful with me.
Ugh oh.  Here come the children.  I need to hide.  Maybe if I thump my leg at them they will leave me in the cage.  Where is their mother, the nice tall lady?  They shouldn’t be in here.  She hasn’t come to get me as she usually does. 
The boy Omar is opening my cage.  I don’t like it when the he gets me out as he always squeezes me tight.  I know he doesn’t mean it, but it hurts all the same. I will thump to let him know I am not pleased.
Thump!
“Omar, he just thumped at you,” Farrah says.
“That’s okay, he does it all the time,” Omar says as he reaches around in my cage trying to grab me.  I dart left and right trying to avoid capture.  Finally he has me cornered. 
“I got him Farrah,” Omar tells his sister as he pulls me out of the cage and cradles me like a baby.
“Bring him to me Omee.  I want to hold him.”
“Okay, but you have to sit down and be careful, just like Mommy says,” Omar tells her.
“I know that stupid head,” Farrah replies indignantly.
“If you aren’t going to be nice, I’m going to put him back in the cage,” Omar says holding me away from her.
“No, Omee I want to snuggle him.  I’ll be nice,” she says.
Farrah sits down and Omar hands me to her.  “Okay Farrah have fun.  I’m going to go watch Martha Speaks on Netflix. 
Farrah strokes me softly and mumbles words in my face, which I don’t understand.  I know she loves me, but she scares me all the same.  I heard them talking once about how the first bunny they bought from the pet store died after seven days.  They never figured out why. I heard Nadia the oldest, tell her mother that she thinks Farrah dropped the bunny rabbit.  I don’t want to be dropped.  I am too young to die.
Farrah just sat me down and is walking away. Maybe I will get some free time today to run around the room.  I love pretending that behind the couch is a tunnel I dug underground.  Sometimes they forget I am out of the cage until the mom notices my cage open and then finds me hiding.  She always gets upset when the kids leave me out.  She says I leave little presents everywhere.  Well, what is a rabbit to do?  When you gotta go, you gotta go, right?
Ugh oh, Farrah just closed the door to the room and is coming at me with some weird looking object in her hand. 
“Come here little rabbit,” she says to me.
I try to hop away, but she picks me up and puts me on her lap.
“It’s time for a haircut bunny,” she says.
“Haircut?  I don’t want a haircut!” I start to shiver.
“Should I bite her?” I think to myself. “No.” The mom said if I bit again, I was out the door, and frankly its scary outside.  I will just hold real still and hope she doesn’t cut my ear off.
Snip, Snip.  I see my fur fall from the top of my head.
“All done bunny,” Farrah says, as she picks me up and puts me back in the cage.
I am just glad to be alive and unharmed.  I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror installed on my cage.  I look ridiculous.  In place of my beautiful mane of fur is a flat top. After inspecting my new hairdo carefully, I conclude, it’s not so bad.  At least I can see a lot better with the fur out of my face and I look sort of macho.  Too bad there aren’t any hot babes around to check me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment